As an acupuncturist and holistic health practitioner, it is my view that in winter we need to place a greater focus on maintaining our health than in the other seasons.Here are my suggestions to promote wellness and resilience during the darker months:
- Nourish yourself with lots of warming and foods…think hot porridge, soups and slow cooking. If you still want smoothies, defrost the berries, avoid ice and add cinnamon and ginger to warm the body.
- Work with the seasons and your circadian rhythms and sleep more than usual - alter your work schedule if you can.
- Exercise more moderately and conserve your energy, otherwise you may find yourself more susceptible to sickness in spring. No early morning boot camp! But do keep moving - especially if you don't feel like it!
- Wear warm clothes…think merino socks, hats, gloves and scarves. Protect your neck, low back/belly and feet from the cold as that is where cold enters the body and can cause illness and/or pain.
- Sauna and hot pool at your local aquatic centre.
- Check your Vitamin D and Zinc levels and if necessary supplement to support your immune system.
- Worship the sun and get as much sun exposure as you can on your skin.
- The latest Cochrane review of all the research shows that 71 people needed to be vaccinated for 1 person to have a small benefit. Read the report here: http://www.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-prevent-influenza-healthy-adults So, if you are in good health, avoid flu vaccinations!